The Virtual Fire Hydrant

Please Help Us Find Blue: His Family Misses Him!

HULA Certification

HULA Certificate

Sunday, June 1, 2008

Early Morning Hunt

Thor's mama here. He has--grudgingly--allowed me to post this blog, although he will probably add his own words to it later.

We live in a manufactured home, which means that the dogs have long ago torn down the skirting at the back of the house so they can stare at the chipmunks and squirrels that constantly get under there. Well, lately there has been a pigeon, also known as a flying rat, living under there and driving the dogs insane, because, of course, they can't get to it.

Well, early Memorial Day morning, when I let the dogs into the yard to take care of business, the idiot bird, who has seen the dogs in the yard every morning, is in the yard, strolling around like it belongs there. The dogs did not take this invasion lightly, and Thor, my beautiful, gimpy-legged baby boy, proceeded to prove that a bum leg does not impede him in any way. The flying rat launched itself into the air, frantic to get away, getting about five feet up...and so did Thor. He snatched the bird out of the air...from above, even though he had been standing on the ground a second before. He caught both wings in his mouth and landed lightly on his feet. I have never seen him look so proud, with his head and tail both held high as he pranced across the yard. I hated to tell him to drop it, but, well, they're called flying rats for a reason! So he dropped it, and Smoky and Bandit converged from the left and right simultaneously, while LeeLee barked and jumped excitedly. Big three-way melee ensued, and when the dust settled, there was a dead pigeon without a mark on it, feathers everywhere, and three proud, successful hunters whose praises were being sung by the fourth!

Thor here now. Don't let Mama fool you. The only reason I dropped the stupid bird in the first place was because Mama was standing in the doorway in her pajamas, jumping up and down and screaming at me like an idiot. And LeeLee wasn't singing our praises, she was criticizing our techniques! Not that she did anything at all! And Mama, as much as we love her, wasn't smart enough to have a camera right by the back door to video our hunt! Humans!

Woos,
Thor

16 woos:

Tucker said...

Good hunting, Thor! Good job!

I know it's confusing when the human screams. I would have thought she was excited for me!

"Go, Thor! Catch those rats! Way to jump, Thor!"

So I would have brought it over for her to see.

I think so, anyway. I know you had to be there to know what it was like.

Anyway. Way to show your prey drive!

Teddy Westlife said...

I saw right through your Mama's story Thor. I am so proud of your style!

Huffle Mawson, Honorary Husky and Explorer Cat

The Husky in the Window said...

Oh wow! Is that not the greatest thing?!?! I caught one of those dove bids in our yard just like you did, I jumped up. I just didn't know mom could run so fast when she chased me yelling at me to drop it. Great fun! Good Thor!
They make a squaking noise when you catch them, huh. That will teach those flying rats a lesson.
Husky Hugs, MayaMarie

Khady Lynn said...

Wow, that's quite impressive!! Have you been taking lessons from Samuel?

Holly

H.A. Turbofire, Sibertarian said...

Good job, Thor. Humans are always putting a stupid spin on things!

The Daily Echo said...

I'm proud of you Thor! Maybe if you offered to share with Mom she would have let you keep it. Next time take it inside and drop it at her feet.
ECHO

Kapp pack said...

That sounds like fun!


Kisses, Sky boy

My Two Best Friends said...

Hello Thor

It's Thor from Iowa. My official name is Barynuk's God of Thunder but Mom says me Thor-man.

I am so excited to meet you - I think we must be related ? We have the same name.

I'm so proud of you catching the flying rat -I almost caught a Canadian Goose but Mom yelled at me so I stopped. Congrats on your big Catch

Do you want to link to my blog? Can I link to you?

Thor
From the flooded state of Iowa

Dakota said...

I am so glad that I am not the only embarassed dog! The Mom yells at me every single time I get a bird! Hey, I'm working on setting the new neighborhood record!

Princess Eva and Brice said...

Thor,
Sorry for the delay but we're finally back home and able to catch up on blogs and comments.

Tell your Mom that Belgian Rescue is handled a little different. Most from shelters are pulled by the ABTC and then go through the national group at http://www.abtc.org/adoptrescue.htm
The ethical breeders all have contracts where they take back and rehome a dog if it is needed. There is no website where you can see the dogs that need homes. If she wants, have her drop us an email for more info.

Princess Eva

Gus, Louie and Callie said...

We are so impressed. I am always trying to catch those bird and I have yet to succeed...

Big Sloppy Kisses
Gus, Louie and Callie

Amici said...

My human lady likes the name of your pup- Lee Lee. She is a little bias since her name is Lee. :)

You are an awful cute family.

-The Mullin Clan's Mommy- said...

Great hunting, Thor!! We likes to run after birds & little critters in our yard, too. Haven't caught any yet. You need to give us pointers.

-Cosmos & Juneau-

DESERT PUPS said...

Woof, Thor

Hey, we live in Tucson Arizona too.
Desert pups here just saying woof and getting out the meet the neighborhood cause we're new in town.

Woof, Woof,
Scuba, Keiko, Norman and Toby from Life inside The Fence

Teddy Westlife said...

Hey Thor, where are you? You missed pupcakes at my place last night.

Huffle Mawson, Honorary Husky and Explorer Cat

Hog Hunting Texas said...

Good hunt its always less risk and tires hunting early morning.

Pledge to Fight Animal Cruelty